Family taking things out of car

Tips before you drive off on holiday

4 min to readTips & tricks
There are some things you should be aware of if you choose to take the car on holiday. At LeasePlan, we want to do our best to ensure that you have a good holiday, so we've put together 10 useful tips on what you need to remember, when you take the car out into the world.
Share this

1. Statutory safety equipment

In many countries it is required to have safety equipment in the car, otherwise you could be fined. Safety equipment may include a safety vest, warning triangle, first aid kit and fire extinguisher. In several EU countries, for example, there must be at least one safety vest in the car for use in case of an accident, or if exiting at a breakdown.

2. Bring Part I of your registration certificate

Remember to bring Part I of the registration certificate (must be the original), which has been sent to you / or your company. It takes approx. 3 weeks after initial or changing registration of the car, before your fleet manager receives the original registration certificate. Have you just got a new car, and need the registration certificate within the first 2-3 weeks, you must contact LeasePlan at or +45 3673 8310 in order to get authorised, and afterwards request a temporary certificate by personal attendance at one of the four vehicle registration offices in Taastrup, Odense, Aarhus or Aalborg.

3. Red and green card

You no longer need to bring the red card when travelling abroad, as the red card is just a phone number for SOS, and must only be used, if you need assistance, or if there has been a traffic accident. You can contact Red Card Road Assistance here: Red Card Road Assistance.

In by far the most countries within the EU's borders, as well as in Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Andorra and Serbia, it is not necessary to bring the green card. The green card is proof that a car is legally insured, and must be physically carried with you in certain countries. Your insurance company can send the green card digitally to you, for example by email, so you can print it out and bring it on the trip.

4. Joint European damage report

If an accident occurs, you can't always rely on a Danish damage report. It is therefore a good idea to print the joint European damage report, and have it in the car, in case you're in an accident whilst you're abroad. In that way, you are fully prepared if an accident happens. You can print the joint European damage report here: Accident abroad.

You can read more about damages and accidents here: Damages and accidents.

5. Motorway and environmental vignettes

Remember motorway vignettes, otherwise you risk a large fine. The vignettes are mandatory in Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria. If you are going on a vacation to Germany and Italy, then in some cities you need to have an environmental vignette on the windshield, otherwise you could face fines. They can be purchased from FDM.

6. Company car on holiday

There are some very specific things you should be aware of if you take the company car on holiday. It’s always a good idea to check with your employer that you are allowed to take the company car on vacation. Here it is a good idea to get an overview of which agreement is exactly applicable. For example, this includes fuel costs, motorway duties, tolls at tunnels, bridges, ferries etc. If your company does not offer free fuel, you still have the opportunity to achieve considerable savings by having the cost deducted from your gross salary as co-payments, and thus save on tax. Here it is important that the fuel is paid for with a fuel card, or that you keep the receipts.

7. Pack the car with care

It is important to avoid loose luggage, as when you break, it can be a real danger to passengers in the car. All luggage should be secured with a luggage net or a grille, for example, that separates the cabin from the luggage space. With a roof box you can completely avoid having light objects in the cabin, thus creating more room in the luggage space.

8. Fill up the first aid kit

If you not already have a first aid kit in your car, you should make sure to get one before your motoring holiday. If you already have a first aid kit, you should check the contents and replace anything that is missing. The first aid box is mandatory safety equipment in many countries, and should always be in the car in case of an accident.

9. Travel advice

In a time of COVID-19, it is important to check possible entry restrictions for the country before departure. Also, be aware of red and orange countries based on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' travel advice, as all travel to countries or areas with these colors is not recommended. Travelling to these countries and areas may affect your insurance on the trip. In the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' travel advice, you will find good tips and useful information for all countries. Read more here (In Danish).

10. Remember the things that are often forgotten

Read more about driving in Europa


Remember to obtain a temporary registration certificate from the vehicle registration office if you have a new car and therefore only have a provisional registration certificate. See item 2.

LeasePlan wishes you a pleasant road trip and holiday!

Published at June 7, 2022
Was this article helpful?
June 7, 2022
Share this

Related articles

Tips & tricks
Drive safely during winter20 December 2021 - 1 min to readArrowRight
Tips & tricks
Summer car checklist21 June 2021 - 2 min to readArrowRight
Tips & tricks
01 January 0001 - 2 min to readArrowRight