Building Back Stronger: Reviving Business in a COVID-19 World
It's hard to believe we've arrived at the one-year anniversary of COVID-19 lockdown in the U.S. I'll never forget March 16, 2020 - the day when companies across the nation shifted to a fully remote scenario for the foreseeable future. Little did we know how much (and how fast) our world would change from that day forward.
Yes, the sun has set on 2020, but we're still battling the effects of a worldwide pandemic. Our economy is still in 'recovery' mode from last year's COVID impacts, and I expect we'll be rebuilding for some time now.
And rebuild we will.
While COVID has been a difficult season for businesses and individuals to navigate, the silver lining in all of this is that we're exploring new ways of working and, in many ways, we're strengthening our grit and resilience. I think in all of us there's a desire to "turn the page". To shake off the shackles of COVID and "Build Back Stronger".
We don't want to just "make it through" another year. We want to deliver more value. Perform better. Build stronger relationships with our customers. Be more tech savvy this year than we were before. Cultivate a culture of unity, resilience and respect. Grow ourselves and our people.
This is what we're striving for in 2021. But how do we make it happen?
Step 1: Take care of your people
To build back stronger, you must start with a strong foundation. For LeasePlan USA, we have a strategic imperative every year to strengthen employee engagement and look after our people.
Over the last several months, we've implemented new opportunities and new ways of working to ensure our teams are cared for.
- We've introduced a new company-wide bonus program to ensure all LeasePlanners are given the opportunity to benefit from our organization's success. This incentive program connects our collective company goals to individual performance priorities which will allow us to build back stronger and reap the reward for our hard work.
- We've launched a new Employee of the Month program to inspire - and reward - high performance across the business. This platform has been a valuable addition because it allows us to foster a culture of teamwork, collaboration, appreciation and respect - even in a remote scenario.
- We're building for our future by designing a modern workforce structure that allows for flexible work scenarios. Like many other companies, we've completely reimagined what collaboration can look like in today's digital world and plan to offer a flexible work approach post-COVID.
Step 2: Innovate for your clients
It's no secret that COVID-19 has added a new level of pressure to our service-based economy... but businesses (of all sizes) have risen to the challenge.
Grocery stores now offer curbside pick-up or front-door delivery. Restaurants expanded their take-out menus and remodeled their drive-thru infrastructures to meet the needs of customers.
Here's how we're "Building Back Stronger" for our customers at LeasePlan:
- We've launched our new-and-improved MyLeasePlan app, which gives our drivers a fresh (and easy) way to take care of their vehicles
- We've focused on supporting our clients' fleets during the COVID-19 pandemic by partnering with YourMechanic to offer mobile maintenance - a convenient, outside-the-shop option for vehicle repair.
- We're growing our business to further support our clients. During COVID, our fleet grew by 5% and we welcomed new talent to the LeasePlan team, helping us build a strong foundation for 2021 - and beyond.
- We're investing in better tools and streamlining our processes including the roll out of a new customer relationship management platform so we can provide our stakeholders the very best fleet experience.
Step 3: Build for a better tomorrow
The key to "building back stronger" is to think beyond today and start building for tomorrow. There will always be opportunities to do better, so think about what's next and build forward!
Here's how we're building for tomorrow at LeasePlan:
- We're increasing our sustainability efforts. The conversation around electric vehicles has officially moved to the mainstream, and we're not going to miss out on the discussion!
- 1.On April 14 and 15, LeasePlan is hosting an electric vehicle (EV) summit with clients and industry-leaders so we can engage in conversations about our ecosystem and discuss how we're going to build our fleets for a sustainable, earth-friendly future.
- 2.We've recently partnered with ChargePoint, an EV infrastructure company. Through this partnership, we'll be able to give our clients attainable solutions so that, together, we can build fleets that prioritize environmental sustainability.
- We're focusing on Diversity and Inclusion. We're committed to building a culture where everyone can be themselves. We believe a truly diverse-and-inclusive organization is essential to building back stronger. That's why we'll continue top advocate for diversity and be a voice for inclusion - always with the goal of building a stronger, more unified LeasePlan for the success of our customers, our employees and our communities.
- 1.We're engaging in D&I efforts across our LeasePlan workforce. We've taken significant strides to increasing awareness of - and appreciation for - the qualities that make each LeasePlanner unique.
- 2.We've launched a new internal blog series called "See Me". These blog stories are authored by LeasePlanners and are designed to showcase the experiences, backgrounds and beliefs that have shaped each individual into the person they are today... helping us to "see" each other for who we are outside of LeasePlan job titles.
- 3.We're actively pursuing D&I-focused partnerships with our corporate charities so we can offer opportunities that will benefit and grow individuals outside of the LeasePlan family.
While COVID-19 has certainly left its mark on modern society, we're excited to continue adapting and we're determined to build back stronger for a future beyond the pandemic.
Stay healthy and well. I look forward to Building Back Stronger, together.
Best wishes, Matt