World EV Day 2020: Governments need to get their act together on charging infrastructure
LeasePlan calls on governments around the world to get their act together and deliver on public demand for electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure. This call to action comes ahead of World EV Day, a worldwide campaign aimed at accelerating the transition to zero emission electric vehicles around the world.
LeasePlan has committed itself to achieving net zero emissions from its total fleet by 2030. LeasePlan is also a founding partner of The Climate Group’s EV100 initiative, launched around the UN General Assembly in September 2017 to promote EV uptake among the world’s largest companies. Key highlights of LeasePlan’s sustainability strategy include:
- Pan-European rollout of our ‘full package’ EV solution. Launched at UN COP23 in 2017 and now available in 12 countries, including Luxembourg, LeasePlan’s all-in-one EV offering provides everything needed to start electric, including access to personal charging points at home and at work. New orders for electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids increased to 13.8% in Q2 2020.
- In Luxembourg, electric mobility is becoming more affordable thanks to the € 8,000 subsidy for electric vehicles announced as part of the "Neistart Lëtzebuerg" program on May 20. With our #StartElectric device, we support the electrification of mobility with all-inclusive fixed monthly leasing offers (financing and all services: insurance, tires, maintenance, etc.) for all electric (and hybrid) vehicles. It is also possible to receive advice and integrate all charging solutions. These offers are available for companies (www.leaseplan.lu) but also for individuals in Luxembourg with the Banque et Caisse d'Epargne de l'Etat (Spuerkeess) and the "Lease Plus" product (www.bcee.lu/leaseplus).
- Launch of LeasePlan Energy, a smart charging solution for EVs. LeasePlan has entered the energy market with the launch of a smart charging solution, which enables customers to save money and reduce their use of gray energy. Currently only available in the Netherlands.
- Launch of Green Bond Framework. LeasePlan’s two Green Bonds are being used to help finance and refinance our growing portfolio of Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV)
- Continued transition of our employee fleet to Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs). LeasePlan has the ambition to transition our employee vehicles to BEVs by 2021 (or as soon as local conditions allow). In 2019, the Netherlands become the first LeasePlan country to fully transition to 100% zero emissions. In Luxembourg, electric office charging points were already installed end of last year on site.
- Enhanced sustainability disclosure. Our LeasePlan 2019 Annual Report included comprehensive sustainability disclosure, with audited KPIs and targets, and our first-ever Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) impact statement
Notes to editors
To spread awareness around World EV Day, LeasePlan earlier last week launched its #beliEVers social media campaign on TikTok and Instagram, encouraging users to create their own ‘electric car dance’ videos.