How to transition to an eLCV fleet
Adding electric light commercial vehicles (eLCVs) to your fleet or switching to a purely electric fleet is a demanding process and all parameters must be taken into account.
Adding electric light commercial vehicles (eLCVs) to your fleet or making a complete switch can be quite challenging, with extra variables like range, charging and weight to consider. The benefits of making the switch often out way these challenges and we see eLCVs growing in popularity. In the UK alone LCV registrations were down in 2020 compared to 2019 but eLCV sales were up by 64%. So why are fleets making the switch to an eLCV fleet and what do you need to do to make the switch to an electric commercial fleet? In this blog we look at how to easily include eLCVs in your fleet.
Why to do the transition to an eLCV fleet?
Currently, light commercial vehicles have a significant impact on total CO2 emissions and fleet operators are looking to eLCVs to reduce emissions and maintain access to areas low emission zones. In a few words, eLCVs help fleet operators to:
- Lower fleet CO2 emissions
- Maintain or gain access to low emission zone
Support internal sustainability and corporate social responsibility policies
Before you start to include electric vans in your fleet you should first carry out a full eLCV feasibility study. This feasibility study should include, checking eLCV routes and optimising them, planning charging infrastructure and understanding your drivers’ behaviour and mindset.
The 6 steps to a successful eLCV transition
- Benchmark: Compare fleet with similar fleets in same industry
- Gather requirements: Clear list of business requirements to ensure fit for purpose eLCVs
- Collect data: Review vehicle pricing and TCO for similar alternative eLCVs
- Update policies: Ensure that the newly selected eLCV/s are incorporated in the fleet policy
- Implement: Using the business case to test and evaluate prior to full implementation
- Review: Consistently review the efficiency of the new eLCV/s in the fleet
- New approach and tools to ask the right qualifying questions and properly understand our client’s eLCV fleet needs.
- Better understanding of their vehicle requirements and the complexity of their business operation for eLCV adoption
- Competitive monthly lease rental costs compared to ICE LCVs that helps fleets make the right funding and financing decisions to incorporate eLCVs into their fleet policy
Expertise and support for the transition from LCV to eLCV fleet
Contact LeasePlan for more information about making the switch to an electric LCV fleet.