Government deal aims to reach 775.000 electric vehicles in 2030
Finally an agreement has been put in place for the green transition of the road transport. A plan has successfully been made for restructuring registration tax, taxation and other elements. All this to ensure a simplified taxation system and to promote the green transition.
With this deal the Government aims to reach 775.000 electric vehicles in 2030, and to stop all sales of traditional fuelled vehicles in 2030.
This will be achieved by:
- Restructuring of the registration tax for personal vehicles and vans
- Continued compensation of electricity taxation from electricity to charge electrical vehicles
- CO₂ displacement requirements
- Adjustment of taxation base amount
- Restructuring of the ongoing green taxations
At this point, LeasePlan is investigating the effect of the proposed changes, to ensure our capabilities to advise our customers and partners in the best way possible. Since this deal is still only a political deal expected to be registered as a proposal at the 18th of December, there will still be insecurities related to the complete effect of the deal. LeasePlan takes precautions for any future adjustments of the current proposal until the final proposal.
Should the current proposal be approved as it is drafted, the following will be applicable:
- The updated registration tax will be applicable from the 18th of December 2020 after the law proposal is submitted
- The registration tax will be restructured, a new scale in value taxation will be implemented and in the calculation of the registration tax, CO₂ emission will have a higher weighing than deductions from security and km/l
- Employees for which the employer has provided a company car and charging station, will not be taxed for charging stations. They will not be taxed for the charging station in case the employee takes ownership of the charging station after ended employment. However, this requires that the employee has been taxed of unlimited electric vehicle for at least 6 months.
- An adjustment will be made on the taxation base amount, making environmental surcharge more important than the acquisition cost of the car. Rules and legislation will still be applicable for recalculation.
- The road tax on diesel vehicles will increase as of 2021, as well as the green taxation until 2026. This adjustment will be applicable for all taxable vehicles, from the time the law is adopted - this will also affect active vehicles.
- Adjustments of taxes will continuously be normalized up until 2030 which will make the incentive to choose greener vehicles bigger at the year of implementation.
It is too soon to explain in detail the effect on certain models, which is the reason we advise all of you to stay updated through our website.
The authorities have made a statement of the expected consequences from the deal. We refer to this for further details and examples.