10 tips before you drive off on holiday

July 2, 2021

There are some specific things you should be aware of if you choose to take the car on holiday. We want to do our best to ensure that you have a good holiday, and we’ve put together 10 useful tips on what you need to remember when you take the car out into the world.

1. Statutory safety equipment

In many countries it is required to have safety equipment in the car otherwise you could be fined. Safety equipment may include a safety vest, warning triangle, first aid kit and fire extinguisher. In several EU countries, for example, there must be at least one safety vest in the car for use at an accident or if exiting at a breakdown.

2. Company car on holiday

There are some very specific things you should be aware of if you take the company car on holiday. It’s always a good idea to check with your employer that you are allowed to take the company car on vacation. Here it is a good idea to get an overview of which agreement is exactly applicable. For example, this includes fuel costs, motorway duties, tolls at tunnels, bridges, ferries etc. If your company does not offer free fuel, you still have the opportunity to achieve considerable savings by having the cost deducted from your gross salary as co-payments and thus save on tax. Here it is important that the fuel is paid for with a fuel card or that you keep the receipts.

3. Pack the car with care

It is important to avoid loose luggage, as when you break it can be a real danger to passengers in the car. All luggage should be secured with a luggage net or a grille, for example, that separates the cabin from the luggage space. With a roof box you can completely avoid having light objects in the cabin, thus creating more room in the luggage space.

4. Bring Part I of your registration certificate

Remember to bring Part I of the registration certificate (must be the original), which is kept in your company. It takes approx. 3 weeks after initial or changing registration of the car before your fleet manager receives the original registration certificate. Have you just got a new car and need the registration certificate within the first 2-3 weeks, you must contact LeasePlan at lp@leaseplan.dk or +45 3673 8310 in order to get authorised and afterwards request a temporary certificate by personal attendance at one of the four vehicle registration offices in Taastrup, Odense, Aarhus or Aalborg.

5. Red and green card

You no longer need to bring the red card when travelling abroad as the red card is just a phone number for SOS. In by far the most countries within the EU's borders, as well as in Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Andorra and Serbia, it is not necessary to bring the green card. The green card is proof that a car is legally insured and must be physically carried with you in certain countries. Your insurance company can send the green card digitally to you, for example by email, so you can print it out and bring  you on the trip. Read more about the green card here.

6. Motorway and environmental vignettes

Remember motorway vignettes, otherwise you risk a large fine. The vignettes are mandatory in Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria. If you are going on vacation to Germany and Italy, then in some cities you need to have an environmental vignette on the windshield, otherwise you could face fines. They can be purchased from FDM.

7. Fill up the first aid kit

If you not already have a first-aid kit in your car, you should make sure to get one before your motoring holiday. If you already have a first-aid kit you should check the contents and replace anything that is missing. The first aid box is mandatory safety equipment in many countries, and should always be in the car in case of an accident.

8. Print out the joint European damage report before you leave

We recommend printing the joint European damage report before you leave and keep it in the car. In that case you will be prepared for unnecessary problems if an accident should occur while you are abroad. Find the report here (In Danish).

9. Travel advice

In a time of COVID-19, it is important to check possible entry restrictions for the country before departure. Also, be aware of red and orange countries based on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' travel advice, as all travel to countries or areas with these colors is not recommended. Travelling to these countries and areas may affect your insurance on the trip. In the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' travel advice, you will find good tips and useful information for all countries. Read more here (In Danish).

10. Remember the things that are often forgotten

  • Remember a flashlight or a headlight
  • Remember a powerbank for your phone
  • Warm blankets in the car
  • Engine oil for the trip
  • Lots of water and snacks

Read more about driving in Europa at: www.trafikken.dk www.fdm.dk www.sos.dk


Remember to obtain a temporary registration certificate from the vehicle registration office if you have a new car and therefore only have a provisional registration certificate. See item 4.

LeasePlan wishes you a pleasant road trip and holiday!